With the arrival of the cold, cases of flu, colds and colds begin to increase. General malaise, headache, fever and muscle aches are some of the symptoms of the dreaded flu. The questions that many people ask are how to get rid of the flu from one day to the next, how to know if you have the flu or a cold, how to cure the flu fast or if it is good to take antibiotics for the flu.
Duration of colds and flu
Before knowing how quickly we can get rid of a cold or the flu, it is important to note that both diseases have different duration periods.
The difference between the flu and a cold or cold is that the flu, in addition to headaches, malaise and sore throat, is accompanied by fever and muscle aches. Contrary to popular belief, antibiotics should not be taken for the flu to get rid of it faster, since they act on bacteria and not on viruses, as is the case with the flu. The recommended way to feel better is to resort to anti-flu or pain relievers to relieve headaches or muscle aches and apply home remedies that will help you get through this process more quickly.
As for whether you can get rid of the flu in a day, the answer is no. Flus last 5 to 10 days, while colds can last a week. However, you can follow a series of tips to stop colds fast and feel better.
We have prepared some recommendations to eliminate the flu and colds quickly, as well as some home remedies that will help you get rid of it and feel relief. Take good note of them!
Quick cold remedies
If you are one of those who think that home remedies for colds never fail, here are some home tricks that will stop the cold quickly and help you improve symptoms and feel relief.
Salt water rinses
These rinses will lower the mucus from colds, thus facilitating their expulsion. You can use sea water, saline or make your own homemade rinse by dissolving a tablespoon of salt in a liter of water. To use it correctly, simply tilt your head back, plug one nostril, and inhale deeply through the other as you apply the rinse. Repeat the operation in the other hole.
Steam inhalations with some balsamic ingredient will help you relax, breathe better and eliminate infectious agents. You just have to boil water in a pot and add eucalyptus or bay leaves. Cover the pot with a towel and pass it over your head. Inhale the vapors from the container until the water runs cold.
Ginger root is beneficial in curing cold and flu fast, as well as relieving muscle aches caused by it. Grate some fresh ginger root and add it to your tea or infusion, if you wish you can also add a little lemon juice.
Learn more about it in our article How to use ginger for a cold , as it is also very useful for reducing the cough that usually remains as a residue after colds.
Due to its analgesic and expectorant properties, taking this onion syrup can help you cut the nasal cold. It's very simple: boil a liter of water and add an onion cut into pieces. When the broth has been reduced by half, add the juice of a lemon and a tablespoon of honey. Take a glass of the resulting mixture every 3 hours and you will notice improvement.
A classic that never fails, you just have to choose your favorite recipe and have a glass at lunch or dinner. We advise you to add a little onion and garlic to decongest the respiratory tract and serve it very hot. If you need a recipe, check out our one made with chicken breast in How to Make Light Soup .
How to get rid of the flu fast
Here you have a series of very useful and effective recommendations to get over a flu picture as quickly as possible. These tips will help you heal quickly and prevent the flu from getting worse and more serious. Do not miss anything because they are very simple tips to implement.
- Dairy-free breakfast: If you want to get over the flu fast, avoid dairy while you're sick as it can worsen nasal congestion and thicken phlegm.
- Food rich in zinc : consuming these foods during the flu process strengthens the immune system and helps relieve symptoms. The foods richest in zinc are: red meat, liver, hazelnuts, chicken, turkey, dark chocolate, cheese or eggs.
- Take a hot shower : The vapors from a hot shower help reduce nasal congestion and expel mucus. Taking a bath before going to bed will also help you relax and fall asleep.
- Use disposable tissues : banish cloth tissues from your life as they are a source of viruses that you will be continuously touching. Switch to tissues and don't reuse them over and over throughout the day. That will help you prevent viruses from remaining in the environment. Get rid of them after using them.
- Drink a lot of water : one of the recommendations, which is also always beneficial for your body, is to increase your fluid intake during the flu process, as it helps you stay hydrated, eliminate toxins and expel mucus.
- Do light exercise : you may not feel like it much, but it is only a short walk of about 15 or 20 minutes that will be beneficial and will help to get rid of the flu fast. Taking a short walk will give you more energy, stimulate your defenses and strengthen your immune system.
- Gargle : it is the typical grandmother's remedy that will relieve a sore throat. You can gargle with chamomile, lemon, sage, thyme… Make an infusion with any of them and add a little honey.
- Wash sheets and towels: just like handkerchiefs, sheets and towels can become sources of viruses. Wash them constantly until the cold passes, you will heal faster and avoid getting sick again.
It is always unpleasant to go through a respiratory viral picture. If you are one of those who constantly get sick, keep in mind the recommendations that we give you in our article How to prevent the flu .