Psoriasis is a disease that affects the skin and is characterized by having a series of symptoms such as itching, irritation and the appearance of eczema in the affected area, among others. This skin disorder is caused by a malfunction of the immune system, which allows the cell exchanges that the body performs every month, to be done in a matter of days, resulting in the appearance of these symptoms.
In addition to going to the dermatologist to assign you the most appropriate treatment, the symptoms of psoriasis can be relieved by some natural remedies. One of the most popular is the use of baking soda, a natural whitish substance that, although traditionally used in cleaning and cooking, has also proven to be a good remedy for these types of skin conditions. Therefore, in the following article we teach you how to cure psoriasis with baking soda. Notes!
What is psoriasis and why does it occur?
As we have anticipated, psoriasis is a skin disorder caused by a problem in the activity of the immune system. Although the causes of this disease are still unknown, there are some factors that can influence its appearance:
- Infections and skin lesions.
- Tendency to have very dry and/or sensitive skin.
- Medicines, creams, phototherapy and other medicines.
- Daily exposure to poor environmental conditions.
Signs and symptoms of psoriasis
Psoriasis is a disorder that can appear in different areas of the body, such as the palm of the hands, knees, scalp and back, among others. Although the symptoms may vary between each affected, the most common are usually the following:
- Skin rashes with peeling and reddish spots.
- Red, irritated skin.
- Pustules in reddened areas.
- Skin of the affected area very dry and with scaling.
- Thickening of nails.
Baking soda to eliminate psoriasis
Baking soda is a natural product of whitish color that we can find in any kitchen for its domestic use both to prepare culinary dishes and for cleaning work. However, currently this substance is also used as a natural remedy for the treatment of some conditions, as it has different medicinal properties. Below we tell you what are some properties for the skin that will help us relieve the different symptoms of psoriasis:
- Natural scrub: baking soda is an excellent exfoliant due to its texture that is very similar to that of sugar or salt. This can help us eliminate the dead cells that accumulate in the skin and reduce some symptoms such as dry skin or the appearance of scaling. In addition, in this way, we will also improve the appearance of our skin.
- Antiseptic properties: this product has powerful antiseptic properties, which are very useful to treat psoriasis, as it relieves and prevents different symptoms such as irritation and redness of the skin and the appearance of rashes and scaling.
- Antibacterial properties: bicarbonate also stands out for its excellent antibacterial properties. This effect makes it an ideal remedy for one of the different types of this condition: psoriasis in gout. This condition appears due to some bacterial infection so this property of baking soda can reduce its symptoms such as red spots on the skin.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Finally, this remedy also has anti-inflammatory properties, which are very useful to reduce irritation, itching and pain caused by this disease in the affected areas.
How to Use Baking Soda for Psoriasis
Now that we know why this natural product is used to reduce the symptoms of this dermal condition, here we will explain how to cure psoriasis with baking soda. To prepare the home remedy, we will only need:
- 375 grams of baking soda (the equivalent would be about 1 and a half glasses of the substance).
- 10 liters of mineral water.
Preparation and treatment
- To prepare this remedy you will have to have a bathtub at home. If so, add 10 liters of warm mineral water and a glass and a half of baking soda and stir them by hand so that they are well mixed.
- Do not use tap water under any circumstances, as it may contain too much lime, which can worsen some symptoms of the disease such as irritation and dryness in the skin.
- Once you have prepared the bath of water and baking soda, immerse yourself in the bathtub and rest in it for 15-30 minutes. When the indicated time has passed, empty it and wash your body simply with warm water.
- Finally, apply a sterile emollient cream for very dry skin on the affected area.
If you do not have a bathtub at home, you can use this remedy in the following way:
- Add in a bowl a tablespoon of baking soda with half a glass of mineral water and stir everything until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Dip a few cotton discs in the mixture and remove the excess liquid. Now, apply them on the affected areas and let them sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Finally, remove the cotton discs and rinse the areas with warm water.
Now that you know how to cure psoriasis with baking soda, you may also be interested in this other article on How to Use Aloe for Psoriasis.