Headache can occur for many reasons, and not always a paracetamol or ibuprofen manages to eliminate it completely. That's when we turn to “grandma's tricks” and other home remedies in order to try to eliminate this uncomfortable discomfort. One of the most famous natural tricks is to make juice with raw potato for migraines.
But the potato is not only good for headache, but also for other symptoms, such as fever, which can subside slightly with the help of this tuber. If you want to know the properties of potato to eliminate headache and other ailments, do not miss this article on how to cure headache with potato.
Benefits and healing properties of the potato
As we mentioned, the potato or potato is not only useful for headaches, but also for other health problems. This is because the potato contains large amounts of minerals, vitamins, proteins and complex carbohydrates, among others, which make the potato have multiple benefits and healing properties, such as the following:
- Reduces blood pressure: Recent studies have shown that the potato contains kukoamines, a component that helps reduce blood pressure. Although it is not yet known exactly how many recommended daily potatoes that should be consumed, it is believed that with only 2 potatoes a day, we would see our blood pressure reduced.
- Relieves gout pain: regularly taking raw potato juice would help decrease gout pain. And if we also mix potato juice with a little honey, it would help us detoxify the body and eliminate excess uric acid more quickly from the body.
- Lowers bad cholesterol: They have recently discovered that potato skin contains more than 60 types of phytochemicals and vitamins that help lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and keep arteries free of fat.
- Improve digestion: the potato contains high levels of fiber, so consuming potato frequently would help us go better to the bathroom.
- Improves stress and emotional balance: since potatoes have large amounts of vitamin B6, they help in cell renewal, so our nervous system would maintain a healthier state and, at the same time, our emotions would be more balanced.
- Treats anemia: potatoes contain a lot of iron and folic acid, two substances necessary to improve the state of anemia.
- Relieves headache: Due to its anti-inflammatory, soothing, anti-irritant and antibacterial properties, potato can help relieve headache by consuming it raw in the form of juice.
However, the benefits of the potato for the body are still being studied, since until a few years ago it was considered that this tuber was a rather “empty” food, that is, lacking the vitamins and nutrients necessary for our health. However, it is also believed that it can help with liver problems and to protect and fight against some types of cancer, such as colon cancer.
How to use the potato for headache
To eliminate the headache with potato, potato juice is usually consumed.
Potato juice for migraines
If you have frequent migraines, ideally you should consume a glass of potato juice in the morning:
- Take a raw potato and peel it.
- Next, cut it into pieces and beat it with a blender to get all its juice.
- Mix raw potato juice with warm water and drink it.
Although this can be an effective method, it is always better that you first go to the doctor so that he can determine if it is good to try this natural remedy in your case, as well as the amount of potato juice you should consume.
Other Natural Headache Remedies
There are other natural remedies to eliminate headache, such as:
- Ginger Infusion: Ginger has great anti-inflammatory properties that would help eliminate headache quickly and effectively.
- Peppermint Tea: Consuming peppermint tea also helps decrease headache due to the healing properties of peppermint.
- Onion compresses: onion is also very useful for headache. You would have to cook the onion and then put it on the forehead with some kind of cloth.
Now that you know how to cure a headache with potato, you may also be interested in this other article on How to Remove Headache with Lemon.