Sometimes, when it comes to showering, we go so fast that we can forget to clean some parts that are more hidden, such as the navel. Perhaps you do not give enough importance to clean that part of the body, and although you only need soap and water to keep it clean, you have to do it well, carefully and delicately.
In we explain how to clean the navel in the best way, both in adults and babies. We also answer some questions related to this hidden part of the body and its care.
How to clean the navel
To learn how to clean the navel well you just have to follow these steps:
- Take advantage of cleaning it when you are bathing, it is the best to keep it well clean, since it will be a moment that you can easily introduce into your routine.
- Use soap and water to perform the cleaning, no other product is necessary, unless it has been sent to you by the doctor.
- You can also use a small wet towel to rub carefully, or a cotton swab or swab, and thus remove dirt that can stay inside, as lint and dirt accumulate easily inside the navel. When using a towel or swab, always pass it gently
- Once you have finished dry it gently so that bacteria or fungi cannot be created.
- Do not use oils, creams or lotions daily or in excess unless your doctor has told you to, it is not recommended and may cause more bacteria to be created when left behind. If you use, apply too little so that the skin can absorb everything easily.
- Wash it more abundantly if you have been sweating, after exercising or on very hot days.
How to tell if I have something in my navel
If you follow the steps indicated when showering to keep your navel clean, it will hardly accumulate lint or other debris. Even so, in case of feeling itching and / or irritation, it is best to visit your doctor to make a deeper analysis of that area.
In addition, in case you have sweated a lot or dressed fabrics that release hair, for example wool, you have probably accumulated some lint, so it is important to gently touch your navel to see if you notice it and thus be able to clean it. Also, if when you carefully swipe your finger you notice something hardened or a scab, we recommend you go to the doctor.
In these other articles we explain why the navel itches and why the navel hurts.
Crust in the forced of an adult: why does it come out?
As we have been saying, navel hygiene is very important in daily cleaning routines in both children and adults In fact, in adults scabs can come out due to lack of hygiene and an infection called omphalitis can be generated.
It is normal for an adult to catch an infection in the navel or get a scab if you do not consider cleaning that area well. In case of omphalitis in adults it is usually of slow evolution, it is not a pathology and can disappear with good hygiene of the navel. However, in case you see that in a few days the scab is still there, it is best to visit the doctor to give us a more effective remedy.
Also, scabs may appear on the navel of an adult, if a poorly healed piercing is worn or if it has been scratched hard, producing a small wound. If in your case you have a piercing, here we tell you how to cure an infected piercing in the navel.
How to clean a baby's navel
When a baby is born, the umbilical cord must be cut. Thereafter, it is necessary to maintain a deep and routine cleaning of that part until the rest of the umbilical cord dries and falls on its own. It usually takes between 8 and 10 days and once detached leaves a small wound that heals after 3 or 5 days. During this time, and even a few days later, care for a baby's navel should be done with products such as chlorhexidine, a disinfectant liquid, to prevent infections.
After this time and with the umbilical cord down, cleaning the baby's navel should remain part of the bathing routine to prevent it from getting dirty, harmful bacteria from accumulating and becoming infected. It is very important that whoever bathes it has clean hands and with a little soap and a soft sponge wash it delicately. When drying it should be done carefully and watching that there is no water left inside, if necessary you can use a cotton pad to remove the remaining drops of water.
In case you believe a scab, a small wound or has a reddish color, the first thing to do is to ask the pediatrician for a time, to avoid an infection or treat it as soon as possible if there is already one.