Sunflower seeds are the fruit that is extracted from an herbaceous plant that has the same name, although it is scientifically called Helianthus anuus. Although it was native to North America, the sunflower is currently cultivated in numerous places with dry soil such as Spain, China, Peru, Mexico and Argentina among others.
Today, sunflower seeds are one of the most consumed nuts as an aperitif or snack for their richness in healthy fatty acids and for their delicious flavor. However, like all food consumed in excess, they can make you take unnecessary kilos. Therefore, in this article, we inform you about how much the pipes are fattening and, in addition, we will explain in what ways we will not gain weight by consuming these seeds.
Nutritional information of sunflower seeds
Sunflower seeds are composed of the following nutritional composition:
- Healthy fatty acids: they are rich in linoleic acid (omega 6) although they also have a great contribution of linolenic acid (omega 3).
- Proteins and essential amino acids: among them stands out its contribution in alanine, histadine, cysteine and glutamine.
- Fiber: seeds with shell are richer in this nutrient, although it is not advisable to consume it, so to get enough fiber it is enough to eat the seed itself and the white skin that covers it inside the shell.
- Vitamins: its richness in vitamin E stands out, although it is also a good source of thiamine, riboflavin and niacin.
- Minerals: it has a high content of potassium, phosphorus, iron, calcium and magnesium.
Properties and benefits of pipes for health
Thanks to their nutritional diversity, sunflower seeds provide us with the following health benefits:
- Its richness in healthy fatty acids makes us produce more prostaglandins, a substance with anti-inflammatory properties that relieve premenstrual pains and symptoms caused by arthritis.
- Fatty acids also regulate bad cholesterol levels and reduce blood triglycerides.
- Thanks to the essential amino acids it contains, they also make it an ideal food to maintain the muscles and for children in the growth phase.
- Their richness in potassium and phosphorus gives them properties that fight memory loss and other degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's.
- It is a powerful antioxidant that helps us fight free radicals and cellular oxidation. In addition, thanks to this nutrient, it also improves cellular metabolism.
- It has excellent satiating properties that reduce our appetite, thanks to its richness in soluble fiber.
- Its magnesium content gives it cardivascular properties, ideal for people with hypertension.
- Finally, pipes are very rich in calcium, so they are especially recommended for those with a dairy-free diet or who suffer from diseases such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.
How much do sunflower seeds make you fat?
Many people wonder “do sunflower seeds get very fat?”, because there is a popular belief that sunflower seeds is a food that makes us fat. However, as with an infinity of foods, everything depends on the amount and how we eat them.
A serving of pipes every day can be beneficial for our health, due to all the properties it contains and that we have explained in previous sections, but it is all a matter of knowing how to eat an adequate dose. In the case of pipes, it has been proven that for every 100 grams a day of this nut, it can provide our body with approximately 580 calories. Therefore, if we take that high number of pipes every day, we would surely end up getting fat.
We will also gain weight if we take these seeds seasoned with salt or other flavorings, since a considerable amount of sodium will cause the number of calories to skyrocket. If we take 100 grams of pipes with salt a day (150 calories per 25 grams) we would be providing the body, more than 600 calories in a meal that is not even main. And, in addition to gaining weight, excess salt can lead to cardiovascular problems, fluid retention and worsen diseases such as hypertension.
How to take pipes so as not to get fat
Sunflower seeds, if taken in their right measure, will not make us gain weight and, even, can be beneficial in people who are following a diet to lose weight. If you want to know how to take the pipes so as not to gain weight, read the following recommendations:
- In order not to get fat with the pipes, it is better to take them natural, that is, you have to avoid formats such as glazed pipes, with salt, toast and with sauces.
- If we take this 100% natural food, we can consume at least 5 times a week 25 grams of sunflower seeds, that is, more or less two tablespoons of dessert a day. A serving with this amount would provide us with approximately 140 calories a day.
- Finally, instead of taking them alone we can add that portion of pipes to add it to salads, energy bars or cereals, yogurts or even in the preparation of breads or pizzas.
Do pumpkin seeds make you fat?
Another related frequently asked question is whether pumpkin seeds get very fat or not. The answer is no and, in fact, they are not contraindicated for a weight loss diet. Actually, they are recommended to take between meals or in some meals during this type of diet or even to maintain weight, as long as we do not exceed their consumption.
Specifically, 10 g of pumpkin seeds or a tablespoon only contain 60 kcal and are satiating and very rich in good fats, fibers and proteins.