It is quite common that on some occasion, throughout our lives, women suffer from some kind of vaginal infection, either due to the entry of bacteria, intestinal parasites, the appearance of fungi and even due to a vitamin deficiency, among others. possible causes. The clearest symptom that we are suffering from an infection in our private parts is vaginal itching, which is characterized by being a rather annoying and uncomfortable sensation accompanied by general irritation in that area.
If you have already gone to the doctor and you know what is the cause of your vaginal itching, you can use the following home remedies for itching in the intimate area, as long as they are a complement to the pharmaceutical treatment that you have been assigned.
We start by recommending the use of yogurt, as this probiotic product provides good bacteria for the body and has antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, which works very well to reduce itching and stinging. In fact, it is a natural treatment for candidacies well known for its effectiveness.
To use natural yogurt to relieve itching in the intimate parts you have to follow these steps:
- After washing your hands well with soap and water, you can apply the yogurt all over the affected area, or you can use a tampon by dipping it in the yogurt and inserting it into the vagina.
- You will notice relief almost immediately, but for a greater effect, let it act for a maximum of two hours.
- Then you will have to remove the tampon, if you have used it, and wash well with warm or fresh water and specific soap for the vaginal area, or with a neutral pH one, to remove all the remains.
It should be applied twice a day, until you notice that you no longer have this annoying symptom.
Another of the good home remedies to relieve vaginal itching is the sage plant. Sage infusion has antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, which makes it an excellent remedy for this itching sensation. To use sage to relieve itching in the intimate parts, follow these instructions:
- Boil a few sage leaves in water for 10 minutes to prepare the infusion or tea.
- Strain the liquid to remove the leaves and let it cool.
- Once the infusion has cooled, wash the vagina twice a day for a few minutes. You can do it by irrigation or you can fill the bathtub with a little water to pour the infusion and make a seat bath more comfortable. In the case of the bath, you will need a larger amount of infusion and we recommend preparing between 1 and 2 liters to pour into the water.
Garlic has a powerful antibiotic action that fights a wide range of bacteria and fungi. To relieve vaginal itching with garlic you can follow these instructions:
- Peel and crush three cloves of garlic.
- Boil them for 10 minutes and strain the liquid.
- When it has cooled down, wash the vaginal area with the infusion once a day for a week.
Another option if you want to use garlic for genital itching is to apply a little garlic oil to the area. You have to do it a couple of times a day until you stop noticing these discomforts.
Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is one of the best-known natural treatments to combat and prevent fungal and bacterial infections, as it has excellent antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. To use this remedy you can do vaginal washes with water and tea tree.
- Mix 1 liter of warm water with 10 drops of this oil.
- Pour the mixture on the part affected by the discomfort or prepare a sitz bath with the tea tree diluted in the same proportion.
- Another option is to wet compresses or a cloth with this mixture to dab on the irritated and itchy part.
You can do it once a day while the discomfort lasts.
This plant has a powerful antiseptic action, so it is also a good remedy for vaginal itching. If among the home remedies for itching and burning of the vagina that we show you, you want to try the mint pennyroyal infusion , take note:
- You just have to boil 30 grams of pennyroyal in hot water
- Strain the liquid to remove the leaves.
- Once it is cold, perform vaginal douches twice a day with this infusion or wet gauze or compresses to apply mint pennyroyal with gentle touches on the affected area.
Chamomile sitz bath
Chamomile to relieve itching in the intimate parts is very effective, since it has soothing, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. To wash the intimate area with chamomile, you have to prepare a sitz bath as follows:
- Prepare an infusion of chamomile, with leaves and flowers (use 1 tablespoon of chamomile for every 200 ml of water). Let it boil for between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Strain the infusion and let it cool down.
- In a bathtub with little warm water or in a bucket or basin with water, add the infusion.
- Sit so that the water covers your intimate area well and stay that way for at least 15 or 20 minutes.
- Do not rinse or dry the area directly. Wait at least a couple of hours before washing thoroughly.
Salt water bath
Salt water is antiseptic and soothing, so it can be used to improve itching and burning problems in the vagina. However, we do not recommend this remedy to use as a first option if the area is very irritated, as the salt can sting a lot and irritate more.
Prepare a salt water bath to relieve intimate itching as follows:
- Prepare a bucket with warm water or put a little water in the bathtub, just enough to cover your intimate part when you sit down.
- Add at least 5 tablespoons of salt, depending on how much water you use.
- Sit back and let it work for 15-30 minutes, then gently pat the area dry.
You can repeat it as many times a day as you see necessary.
Vinegar for itching is a very good remedy, because thanks to the acetic acid it contains, it relieves itching and reduces inflammation. We recommend using apple cider vinegar for itching in the intimate area in this way:
- Dip a cloth or gauze or compress in apple cider vinegar and apply it with gentle touches on the affected part. If it stings you can reduce the vinegar with water.
- Let it take effect for about 15 or 30 minutes and wash well with warm or cold water to remove the remains.
- Keep in mind that another way is to make a sitz bath using about 5 tablespoons of this vinegar for every liter of water.
One of the best home remedies for itching in the intimate area if you are looking for immediate relief is the application of cold, since blood circulation in the area is reduced and it calms and deflates. For example, you can use cold compresses for vaginal itching :
- Soak some compresses or gauze in very cold water or wrap some ice cubes in some compresses or gauze or even in a clean cotton cloth.
- Place the gauzes on the genital lips and let the cold take effect for a few seconds. Also, especially if you use ice, make gentle touches without leaving the cloth on the skin for a long time. You will notice rapid relief, but this remedy is not definitive for the itching to pass because the cause of the problem will have to be treated.
- As the compresses get warm, you can re-soak them in cool water. However, you should do it for a few minutes at a time and then let the area calm down and rest, before applying another remedy or repeating this one.
This remedy is very good to combine with others and thus have more relief.
Aloe vera or aloe vera gel is very moisturizing and soothing, and can also help with some types of infections. To use aloe vera to relieve genital itching, take note:
- Buy aloe vera gel or extract it from the plant, but in this case be sure to remove the alone (yellowish part) it contains by leaving the cut leaf in water for 24 hours.
- Use the aloe vera gel as an intimate moisturizing cream or gel for the vulva area and the entrance of the vagina, that is, applying it carefully to the irritated and itchy area. You can apply it several times a day and for as many days as you need, until you no longer have discomfort or finish your medical treatment.
Another option is to dip a tampon in this refreshing gel and leave it in for a couple of hours. After removing it, wash the area very well with a specific soap for the intimate area or with a neutral pH. You can do it once or twice a day.
Causes of itching in the private parts
What we know as itching in the private parts are those that can occur at the entrance to the vagina, on the inner and outer lips, that is, on the vulva. In addition, this type of itching is usually accompanied by other symptoms such as irritation, swelling of the lips and redness of the vulva. There are several possible causes and, therefore, it is necessary for a doctor to diagnose the problem and its origin, in order to find the best treatment. These are the main causes of itching in the intimate area :
- Vaginal infection: the most common are due to the appearance of fungi ( candidiasis ) and through bacteria (such as gonorrhea and chlamydia). Generally, in addition to itching in the vagina, there are also symptoms such as pain when urinating, lack of lubrication, discharge with an unpleasant odor and pain during intercourse.
- Vaginal dryness: it is a genital disorder characterized by a lack of lubrication in the vagina, which can also cause itching in the vulva. Here you can learn more Natural remedies for vaginal dryness .
- Genital seborrhea: it is not very common in this area of the body but, if it occurs, genital itching is one of the symptoms of this problem.
- Vulvar dermatitis: it is a type of vaginal infection that occurs due to the aggressions it suffers, either by contact (use of inappropriate clothing) or by an allergic reaction caused by creams, chemical soaps, deodorants and other products with aggressive chemical substances.
- Skin parasites: the most common is scabies, which can cause intense itching in the vaginal area.
- Parasites in the pubic hair: crab lice are the microbes that appear the most and are usually transmitted through sexual intercourse. In this other link you will see information on How to know if I have crab lice and how to eliminate them .
Tips to prevent itching in the intimate area
To finish, after explaining the possible causes and having shown you the best home remedies for itchy private parts , we want to talk about how to avoid them. Therefore, below, we give you some recommendations to prevent itching in the intimate area :
- Maintain good vaginal hygiene : proper washing of the genitals can help us prevent many infections in the vagina. Try to use specialized soaps for intimate parts and with natural ingredients.
- Have a proper anal cleaning: It is important to also have this area clean, since germs and microbes could be dragged into the vagina.
- Wear comfortable clothing: try to wear loose clothing and, if possible, cotton to maintain both good ventilation and the correct humidity of the intimate parts.
- Use sanitary napkins and a menstrual cup: during menstruation, it is more advisable to use sanitary napkins and a menstrual cup than tampons, since these obstruct the outflow of blood and absorb it, but it can be retained for too long and, consequently, promote the development of vaginal infections.