It is common to feel stuffed after celebrations such as Christmas or birthdays and the excesses that are committed at dinners and family meals, business or with friends. However, sometimes, empacho can also be caused by eating some foods and, above all, by the way they are cooked, as they are quite forceful or heavy dishes. However, it is not the only cause because there may be many more factors that are not always related to copious or forceful meals. And, in these situations, what can be done?
The solutions are diverse and range from always eating in a more reasonable way to home remedies for indigestion in adults that help to quickly and comfortably put an end to that feeling of heaviness and stomach discomfort.
Empacho: what it is and its main symptoms
Before talking about home remedies for indigestion in adults, it is important to be clear about what indigestion really is because not all discomfort in the stomach or abdomen is.
The empacho, which is also called dyspepsia or indigestion , is recognized by the discomfort felt in the upper part of the abdomen, which is usually accompanied by a series of symptoms:
- General discomfort
Here we tell you more about what are the symptoms of indigestion .
Teas and infusions for indigestion in adults
Within the home remedies for indigestion in adults, there are digestive infusions . It is really the most effective to end all the discomfort you feel. But not all are equally effective. The best ones that can be taken are those of:
- Mint: mint infusion is one of the most suitable for the digestive system because it neutralizes excess acids that cause discomfort and symptoms of indigestion, as well as reducing irritation of the stomach mucosa. Within mint, the one that is taken most frequently is mint pennyroyal or Mentha pulegium, which helps to expel gas and the secretion of bile, which is key to the digestive process. This infusion can be taken 30 minutes after finishing eating and can be taken up to three times a day.
- Chamomile: chamomile flowers are one of the most widely used home remedies for indigestion in adults because this infusion has always been used for digestive problems. And it is that these flowers have the peculiarity of acting as natural painkillers in the digestive system, in addition to acting as a tonic. Besides, they favor digestion and reduce all the discomfort associated with this process or indigestion. It can be drunk after food, with a maximum of three times a day.
- Lemon balm: lemon balm tea or infusion, also called lemon balm, has several properties that help relieve the symptoms of indigestion. For example, it neutralizes acidity and burning, apart from having benefits for inflammation related to indigestion or indigestion. Likewise, it is used in the case of colic. Its intake is recommended after a meal, with the recommended amount being two cups a day.
- Ginger: ginger tea cannot be missing from the list of home remedies for indigestion in adults, as it helps reduce inflammation and put an end to burning, preventing reflux. On some occasions, this tea is also drunk with lemon, a citrus fruit that has properties very similar to those of ginger. It can be drunk when stomach discomfort is felt, although it is important not to exceed two or three cups a day.
Fruits to alleviate the discomfort of empacho
In addition to tea and infusions, fruits are also of great help in these cases, forming part of the most widely used home remedies for indigestion in adults for many years. Specifically, two fruits are the most beneficial for these situations and they have to be taken in juice:
- Lemon: in addition to accompanying ginger tea or adding a few drops to other infusions as we have mentioned before, lemon juice – even diluted with a little water so that it is not so acidic – helps to say goodbye to all the discomfort of indigestion because it reduces inflammation, burning and pain, apart from regulating the production of gastric juices.
- Pineapple: Pineapple is one of the best fruits to reduce stomach heaviness and all the discomfort and symptoms of indigestion. The key is that it has a digestive enzyme, bromelain, which regulates digestive activity, apart from preventing waste from accumulating in the digestive system and excess acidity. It is also helpful in preventing stomach pain.
Other home remedies for empacho in adults
In addition to these home remedies for indigestion in adults, there are still more things that can be done to relieve all the symptoms and feel better:
- Do not eat anything for several hours until your stomach feels fine. And, when you start eating again, you should opt for light and soft foods such as a little fruit, a French omelette, a light purée or yogurt, among other options. Here you can consult more about What to eat if I have indigestion .
- Drink a little water or the juices that we have indicated above so that the stomach heaviness goes down. Regardless of the chosen drink, you have to start taking it in small sips and little by little so as not to increase the discomfort caused by the indigestion.
- Do not exercise because it is not good when a person is stuffed. It is better to rest until you feel better or just walk a little, as this does help to lower the food from the stomach.