Food supplements to lose weight are an extra help that will motivate you when you are in the process of losing a few kilos. And it is that these products are increasingly consumed as an aid during that period, which for some people is really hard.
You should never start taking these supplements without a doctor's directions. Your metabolism and your health are not comparable to those of any other person and, therefore, it is your doctor who should prescribe the ideal supplement for you along with the most appropriate guidelines and adjusted to your case so that you lose weight in a healthy way. Next, in we tell you what they are and how you can choose food supplements to lose weight.
What are food supplements?
The NIH (Office of Dietary Supplements of the National Institutes of Health) defines dietary supplements as a set of substances that include vitamins and minerals essential for humans.
They may contain herbs or medicinal plants with beneficial properties (such as, for example, echinacea), or specific amino acids and enzymes to treat some condition (such as glucosamine or fish oils).
They are presented in various formats, from pills or smoothies, through energy bars. All with the desire to help you include this type of food supplements to lose weight in your diet; so, you can take them anytime, anywhere.
Natural Supplements for Weight Loss
There is a wide variety of natural supplements to lose weight. Among them, you can find:
- Spirulina: spirulina is an alga that acts on the feeling of hunger by reducing it, helping you to make a diet to lose weight more bearable. Also, it has a high nutritional value; his fame has grown so much in recent times that it is very easy to find. In fact, you can consume spirulina in pills, smoothies and even powder to add to salads and detoxifying juices, for example.
- L-Carnitine: it is widely used when it comes to weight loss because it helps convert stored fats into a source of energy for exercise.
- CLA: these natural pills contain linoleic acid, which blocks the transfer of fats and helps their destruction, preventing them from being stored.
- Fucus: it is an alga that also acts on the feeling of satiety, and is also rich in vitamins and minerals. Fucus purifies the body, although it is not recommended for people suffering from thyroid problems.
- Garcinia cambogia: used to improve fat metabolism and reduce appetite. In this other article we talk more about How to Lose Weight with Garcinia Cambogia.
- Garlic in pills: to avoid the adverse effects of eating a lot of garlic (especially bad breath and that it repeats), concentrated garlic pills can be purchased as a supplement to lose weight. Garlic helps burn fat and regulate metabolism. In addition, it is a good blood pressure regulator, antimicrobial and immune system stimulator.
- Konjac glucomannan: This is a paste made from soluble dietary fiber (3%) and water (97%). In fact, its only nutritional value is the low percentage of fiber, which makes this product good for helping you lose weight by combining it in balanced diets. It is not advisable to use this paste as a regular substitute for pasta to avoid nutrition problems. It is best to consume the right amounts of whole grain pasta that our body needs.
Diet pills: do they work?
Some nutrition specialists claim that food supplements are useful when it is not possible to eat a varied and balanced diet. But remember: diet pills are not magical; they work when accompanied by other types of healthy habits such as physical activity and a balanced diet.
At present, the market offers a wide variety of diet pills. It is important that you inform yourself well to choose the best ones for you; some have been shown to be very effective and others only a placebo.
Diet pills work as follows:
- They speed up metabolism and help burn fat.
- They inhibit the absorption of fat in the intestine.
- They decrease appetite by reducing feelings of hunger and controlling anxiety.
- They fight fluid retention.
How to choose a food supplement for weight loss
In we have created this checklist that will save you time and money when choosing the food supplements to lose weight that you want to start taking along with your diet, whether pills, smoothies, bars, etc.
- Choose a product that presents a detailed description and provides a clear explanation of the biological functioning and the active ingredients it contains.
- Ask for a medical opinion on the effectiveness of the diet pill, and back up the information with scientific studies.
- Search the Internet for comments, testimonials and opinions of users and customers.
- Read well the side effects, contraindications and potential risks.
- Corroborate that its label shows additional credentials from health and consumer protection agencies.
Protein shakes to lose weight
Protein shakes are nutritious drinks low in fat and calories, which provide extra protein.
They help you lose weight because they generate a feeling of satiety, in addition to raising energy expenditure due to the extra effort that the body makes when digesting them.
Here there is also a market that is increasingly varied, and you must choose the type of shake according to the objective you are looking for and the general state of your health. Be careful, because there are also shakes to gain weight or to gain muscle mass.
Always keep in mind that specialists recommend using these shakes to complete the feeding, not to replace it.
You may also be interested to know what we tell you in this other article about When to Drink Protein Shakes to Help You Lose Weight.
Recommendations for taking supplements for weight loss
Finally, in we want to give you a few more recommendations:
- Do not use dietary supplements in excessive amounts.
- Do not take supplements if you suffer from kidney failure, diabetes or any chronic pathology that may be worsened by taking them.
- Perform a medical checkup before starting treatment to check your metabolic status.
- Do not combine different supplements, or use them together with other medications.
- Look for information on non-commercial sites (National Institute of Health, FDA, NIH, etc.)
The best thing you can do is consult with a specialist before consuming any food supplement, especially if you are looking to lose weight.