There are quite unpleasant insects that can bite you at any time. If you have a pet with hair at home, such as a dog, a cat or any other species, it is very likely that you have suffered the occasional flea bite, and especially if you live in the countryside.
And if you have not yet been the victim of such an annoying situation or you think you have them now but you have doubts, keep reading this article because in we tell you all about flea bites in humans: how they are and how to cure them. We will also show you some simple home remedies to help you relieve the reaction that occurs in your skin, as well as several photos of flea bite in a person so you can compare them.
How are flea bites in humans – symptoms
Fleas feed on warm-blooded animals, and that includes humans. So yes, you can suffer their bites, along with all the symptoms and discomfort that come with them.
When we talk about fleas, it is normal that the first thing that comes to mind is your pet. Before going to check if your dog, cat or rabbit has fleas you should know that these undesirable insects can live many months outside of a host animal, spending long periods staying in places like carpets, closets or any other dark and dry place in your home.
Fleas, despite being very tiny in size, approximately 2 millimeters, are very agile and manage to jump up to 20 centimeters; allowing them to move effectively and settle in a host animal or shelter in some suitable place and stay there for a season.
As with other insects, when you find a flea bite on your skin, it's because it has fed on your blood.
Flea bites have very defined characteristics; they form tiny red dots on your skin, right where you've been stung, with a dark red center. It is a bite that can resemble that of a mosquito, and if it produces an allergic reaction, it can become inflamed and even red a little around the red dot.
Usually, several bites appear in the area where you have been bitten by fleas, but they can also form a specific pattern, as happens with bed bug bites, or none, as usually happens with mosquito bites; in fact, it's something that largely depends on how many fleas are biting at once. If you scratch a lot, a kind of rash forms on your skin that can cause you greater itching and redness; this results in the formation of small scabs that can become infected if you do not take precautions.
Fleas bite where there is a significant blood supply. Therefore, it is common for this to happen in the ankles and lower legs. They also sting in places such as the fold of the elbows, knees and in areas with abundant hair.
In summary, the main symptoms of flea bites in humans are:
- Visible bites such as red spots or swollen with white center and reddened surroundings.
- Widespread redness in the affected area.
- Great itching throughout the area.
- Scratching wounds.
- There may be bites with pus, indicating that they have become infected.
How to cure flea bites – treatment
Flea bites in humans are quite annoying, and more if we scratch them a lot and crusts have appeared. If you have them and want to know the treatment for flea bites in people, take note of the following lines.
- To heal yourself, the first thing you have to do is wash the area with soap and water.
- It is common for an allergic reaction to appear after the bite of a flea. Your immune system is reacting to flea saliva, causing your body to release large amounts of histamine. Applying antihistamine creams to the area can help the constant itching sensation go away.
- Taking oral antihistamines will also help your body stop releasing histamine, which will calm the allergic reaction. Another effective remedy is cortisone or calamine creams, which will help relieve the annoying itching sensation caused by these flea bites.
- Now, if you notice redness and severe pain in the areas of the bites, you could be having an infection. To treat them, keep the area of the bites clean at all times. You can also use an antiseptic to cleanse the skin and help prevent or treat the infection. If you start to notice that the area gets too hot or you have other symptoms, such as fever, dizziness or if you see pus in the lesions, see your doctor right away. You may be facing an allergic crisis or an infection for which you will be prescribed antibiotics.
Home Remedies for Flea Bites in Humans
When you have been a victim of flea bites, you can also use solutions and remedies with products you have at home. A technique of home remedies to treat flea bites in people is the application of black tea bags on the affected area, but there are several more, as we show you below:
Black tea for flea bite
Prepare an infusion of black tea, just as you do to drink it; in fact, you can enjoy it and savor an exquisite cup of tea. Then, use the moistened sachet to put it directly on the affected area; you will notice relief in the itching sensation.
Calendula for bites
If you have calendula or basil at home, and you have suffered the bite of fleas, do not hesitate to prepare a poultice to put it on the area where you have been bitten. Mash a few hours of either of these two plants with a little water, or some essential oil, and apply the mixture directly to the skin. You will notice considerable relief and it will help you reduce inflammation, as they are plants with anti-inflammatory properties.
And you can also help yourself with oatmeal to relieve itching. This cereal helps you calm the area and prevents you from scratching. You should dissolve a few tablespoons of oatmeal in a bowl of warm water and immerse the affected area in the mixture. You will notice relief instantly.
From we always advise you to put yourself in the hands of your doctor if you see that your ankles or your arms full of flea bites.
How to prevent flea bites in people
The best thing to do to avoid flea bites is the following:
- Whenever you go to the field or in areas with high grasses, try to wear clothes that cover your legs, ankles and feet well.
- If you have pets, whether they are dogs, cats or other species with hair, keep them well dewormed.
- If you have a garden or terrace, try to keep your plants in good condition and make sure that pests do not occur.
In this other post of you can consult several home remedies against fleas.