The apple is one of the most recommended fruits when we need to make a soft diet, either due to constipation or diarrhea. It is one of the best options for the digestive system, since it acts as an intestinal regulator and is very digestive, but there is always the question of when to take it and if the apple squeezes or is laxative.
Apple yes or apple, no? Does the apple really squeeze? In we solve your doubts and tell you how the apple acts in your body and how you should take it if you are looking for an astringent or laxative effect. Read!
Is apple astringent or laxative?
The apple is one of the most beneficial foods for the digestive system, since it is a powerful intestinal regulator. But is it an astringent or laxative food? The answer is: both.
Have you ever wondered why your doctor recommends eating apple when you have diarrhea and also recommends it for constipation? The answer lies in the skin.
The apple is a fruit rich in pectin and tannins that help retain water and have astringent and anti-inflammatory properties. For now, it seems the ideal food for an astringent diet, but if we consume it with skin, things change. In the skin of the apple is where the highest concentration of fiber of this fruit is found, so taking it with skin becomes the perfect complement if you suffer from constipation.
Does the roast apple squeeze?
The answer is it depends. As we have already seen, it will depend on whether you prepare it with skin or without it. You already know that the skin of the fruit is where the fiber is concentrated, so if you eat a roasted apple with skin, your body will be absorbing all the fiber of the fruit and will have a laxative effect.
The roasted apple without skin does squeeze, so it is recommended to combat diarrhea. In fact, it is one of the most recommended foods in astringent diets for its ability to reduce inflammation of the intestinal mucosa and recover minerals.
How to Eat Apple for Diarrhea
As you have seen, the way you consume the apple will have an astringent or laxative effect on your body, so it is important that you know all your options. If you want to know how to take the apple to stop diarrhea, follow these tips.
The apple is very effective when it comes to treating diarrhea due to its content of pectin and tannins. If these names sound like Chinese, do not worry, because we will explain how they act in your body and how they will help you stop diarrhea.
Pectin is a soluble fiber present in the pulp of apples. Among its properties, is the ability to retain water, so it is perfect for retaining water that causes stomach breakdown. The pectin of the apple, in addition, is an excellent ally to recover the minerals lost after an episode of diarrhea. The other component is tannins that, thanks to their astringent and anti-inflammatory properties, are responsible for reducing and drying the intestinal mucosa.
To benefit from the effects of pectin and tannins you should eat the apple without skin, as this way you will avoid adding fiber to the body. From we want you to know that the best way to eat apple for diarrhea is grated … we help you prepare it!
- Take an apple and peel it.
- Take a plate and start grating the apple.
- Let the grated apple rest for a while in the air so that it darkens, since this way you will achieve that the number of tannins in the fruit multiplies.
You can also prepare it and eat it in compote. To do this you must peel the apples, cut them into pieces and bake them for 30-40 minutes at 150ºC. When they are soft, crush them with a fork or put them in a passport. Remember that if you want to take them for diarrhea you should not add sugar or honey. If you wish, you can sprinkle a touch of cinnamon, because in addition to having a lot of tannins, it will give your apple a delicious flavor.
Other astringent foods
In addition to the apple, there are other astringent foods that you can take if you have diarrhea, as they will help you avoid dehydration and recover lost minerals. Here are some of the foods you can take for diarrhea:
- White rice: one of the basics in astringent diets, cooked rice contributes to improving the consistency of liquid stools.
- Potato: to facilitate its digestion you must take it cooked or steamed. Forget about fried foods if you want to curb diarrhea.
- Fish: In case of diarrhea, you should take white fish, since blue fish are fattier. It is advisable to introduce fish into the diet before meat.
- Lean meats: mainly chicken and turkey. Steam, grill or bake. If you like it, you can also eat rabbit and cooked ham.
- White yogurt: the perfect food to restore the intestinal flora lost during an episode of diarrhea.
- Egg: only if you consume it cooked, in omelette or poached, no fried. The best option is a French omelette, as it does not include any heavy food that could harm you. Accompany it with some boiled rice and you will have a delicious and astringent dish.
- Carrots: we recommend you take them steamed or cooked. We do not recommend other vegetables because most are high in fiber. Carrots are perfect to accompany fish or meat.
- Fluids: You should increase your fluid intake to avoid dehydration. How to take them? In infusions, broths without fat, water or serums recommended by your doctor. You should eliminate coffee and soft drinks and alcoholic beverages from the diet.
If you want to discover other Foods for diarrhea that will favor your health, be sure to visit this other article from