Acute pancreatitis is defined as an inflammation of the pancreas that can occur for different reasons. Sometimes, this pathology disappears without following any treatment, while in others it is necessary to put into practice the medical recommendations.
And what are they? The safest thing is that the doctor will indicate a diet for acute pancreatitis because it is essential to monitor the diet to cure it. In we are going to tell you the allowed and prohibited foods, although we always recommend that you consult with a doctor because this disease can cause damage to the organ if it is not treated.
Fruits and vegetables in the diet for acute pancreatitis
Fresh fruits and vegetables are essential to treat acute pancreatitis because they are free of fats and are rich in nutrients such as vitamins A and C, potassium and folic acid, which are key to dealing with that inflammation of the pancreas.
Specifically, it is recommended that you take between two and three servings of different vegetables a day, which is better to eat cooked or in creams and soups. Among the most suitable for this pathology for having higher levels of the nutrients mentioned above are, for example, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, tomatoes and peppers.
As for the fruits, they cannot be missing either. It is advisable that, if you have acute pancreatitis, you take at least two pieces of fruit a day. Whenever it is better that you eat it naturally and without sugar, although you are also allowed to consume them, for example, prepared in the oven. And which are the most beneficial? Apple, orange, kiwi, pear, peaches, papaya or pineapple, among others
In this other article we discover what are the good foods for the pancreas.
Bread and cereals for acute pancreatitis
Bread and cereals are not always recommended when there are health problems, but in the case of watery pancreatitis their intake is allowed. Now, always with exceptions.
And it is that you can only take those breads and cereals that are made with the whole grain such as whole grain bread. A maxim that you should also follow in the case of rice and pasta, eating only the one that is whole.
If you like to take cereals, for example at breakfast, you will not have to give them up, but you should opt for corn, rice, millet or oatmeal. What you can eat without problems are legumes because they have a lot of vegetable proteins and fiber. Within them, the benefits of chickpea stand out.
Meats, fish and eggs for acute pancreatitis
This food group is important in the diet for its apart from minerals such as iron and zinc, as well as for proteins. However, you will have to settle for taking the ones with the least fat such as poultry – without eating your skin of course – lean meats and beef tenderloin.
Fish are also allowed in the diet, but whites. Eggs you can eat, but you should only take the white because the yolk has a greater contribution of fat.
Foods banned in the diet for acute pancreatitis
Within the diet for acute pancreatitis are left out a series of foods, which are not recommended, mainly because of their high fat content. Take good note because the list is extensive.
- Dairy: they are only allowed occasionally if they are skim because they are less rich in fats.
- Drinks: of course, alcohol is not allowed – its intake is one of the main causes of pancreatitis – as well as soft drinks due to their high sugar content. You should also avoid consuming all those with caffeine because they generate blood sugar spikes.
- Sweets: Sweets and industrial pastries are fully allowed. You will have to do without them if you want to cure acute pancreatitis. And this also includes cookies.
- Omega 3: and be very careful you should also be with all those foods that are rich in Omega 3. Although these facts are healthy, they are not so healthy in the case of pancreatitis because these fatty acids stimulate the pancreas. So, it is time to dispense mainly with oily fish and seafood.
- Fruits: Although fruit is beneficial, there are some exceptions. It is not good to eat when you are with acute pancreatitis or coconut or avocado because of their high fat content, although these are considered beneficial.
These are tips that we give you in so that you can prepare without problem the daily and weekly menus of your diet for acute pancreatitis. But do not forget to consult with the doctor to tell you the most suitable guidelines according to your case.