Although until a few years ago the menstrual cup was little known, more and more women are choosing it as an option to control menstrual flow during the days of the period. This small silicone container is responsible for collecting the flow, replacing, thus, the traditional compresses and tampons. It is more hygienic and safer than these, although it continues to arouse more than one doubt regarding its use.
One of the main doubts is whether you can sleep with the menstrual cup, or it is better to leave the vagina free during the night. If you want to have in your hand all the information you need, in this article we solve your doubts about the use of the glass at night, as well as other questions and tips for you to use this intimate object in the most appropriate way.
Can you sleep with the menstrual cup or not?
In principle, any woman can use the menstrual cup during the period, both during the day, to perform daily activities or even practice sports, and at night. Therefore, the answer is yes, you can sleep with the menstrual cup, at least in most cases. If you feel comfortable with it, there is no problem with wearing it while you sleep, unless there is a medical contraindication.
It is quite common that in the first months of using the menstrual cup, wearing it at night generates some stress. In these cases, it may be advisable to wear it only during the day and resort to other elements of feminine hygiene during the night's rest, such as compresses or menstrual panties. On the other hand, many women are perfectly accustomed to the menstrual cup and opt for it also to sleep.
Therefore, you can sleep with the menstrual cup, since it does not imply any danger, except in some cases in which its use is discouraged (also for the day), for example:
- In case of presenting any problem or disease in the vaginal area: infection, vaginismus, severe vaginal dryness.
- If there is an allergy to the material in which the cup is made.
- During quarantine, after giving birth.
- Whenever, for some health reason, your gynecologist advises against its use.
If you have doubts, it is advisable to consult a doctor prior to use. You can also take a look at this other article on How the menstrual cup is used.
How many hours you can sleep with the menstrual cup
Every woman is different and her menstrual cycle is different too, so you can't set a maximum time to sleep with the menstrual cup. Even so, the average time is about 8 hours, which indicates that you could sleep through the night without having to take it out, empty it, clean it and put it back on.
As we have said, the number of hours can vary. For example, on days of higher flow it may be necessary to change it earlier to avoid leakage of the menstrual cup. On the other hand, in the last days of the rule, when the flow is scarce, you could have it on even some more hours. In any case, the maximum time to use the menstrual cup, both day and night, should not exceed 8 – 10 hours.
How to sleep with a menstrual cup
Once accustomed to the menstrual cup, you will see that you can sleep with the menstrual cup without discomfort, but you must take into account a series of premises:
- You will have it on for many hours, so you should empty it and wash it well before going to bed. To do this, use a neutral soap and plenty of water. It is also advisable to sterilize it, as we tell you in this other article about How to clean the menstrual cup.
- For you to be comfortable while you sleep, it is essential that you choose the size of your menstrual cup well. If it doesn't fit your vagina perfectly, it can cause discomfort.
- In the same way, it is very important to place the menstrual cup well, introducing it little by little and gently. Moisten it with a little water and be relaxed when putting it on will facilitate this task.
- Before going to bed, walk for a couple of minutes to make sure the cup is well put on and doesn't bother you at all. If so, you can rest without worrying. On the other hand, if it moves or rubs you, it is preferable that you take it out and put it back in the right way. Thus, you will enjoy a placid night without remembering the rule.
Now that you know that you can sleep with the menstrual cup, surely you have many other doubts about its use. Therefore, we recommend this other article about Why I stain with the menstrual cup.