Psoriasis is a skin disease that is caused by a failure in our immune system, which allows skin cells to grow rapidly so they end up accumulated in the superficial layers of the epidermis causing symptoms such as itching, scales and itching in it. Although there is currently no cure as such for this disease, it is important to go to the dermatologist since there are treatments that allow us to control both this abnormal growth of cells.
In addition to using the medications assigned by the specialist, we can also find some natural remedies that can help us reduce and relieve the symptoms of this disease. One of the best known is coconut oil since its richness in fatty acids and other nutrients give it excellent properties for the skin. That is why in the following article of we explain what are the benefits of coconut oil for psoriasis and how to use it to relieve its symptoms.
Symptoms and causes of psoriasis
Psoriasis is a skin condition that occurs because cells growing in the deeper layers of the skin progress to more superficial areas in a matter of a few days. This process is known as cell turnover and in people who do not suffer from this disease it occurs over the course of a month. In psoriasis, when it occurs in such an accelerated way, the skin cells are accumulated on the surface of the skin causing a series of characteristic symptoms. These are the main symptoms of psoriasis:
- Cracks and dryness of the skin (sometimes it can even bleed).
- Plates of hardened skin and with silvery flakes.
- Reddish spots on the affected area.
- Itching, pain and burning of the skin.
- Inflammation and stiffness in the joints.
- Thick and pitted nails (in the event that psoriasis occurs in this part).
Although there are no exact causes of psoriasis, according to Mayo Clinic some factors increase the risk of developing this skin disease. These risk factors are stress, infections, skin lesions, vitamin D insufficiency and/or the consumption of some medications.
Main Benefits of Coconut Oil for Psoriasis
As we have advanced, coconut oil is considered an excellent natural remedy to complement the effects of pharmacological treatments assigned by a dermatologist to combat psoriasis. The reason is that this natural product has great benefits that will help fight your symptoms and improve this condition. So, here are the benefits of coconut oil to treat psoriasis:
- Moisturizing properties: coconut oil contains vitamin E and K and lauric acid, which makes it a powerful natural moisturizer that favors the recovery of skin moisture. In this way, this remedy can help reduce symptoms such as dryness and cracks of the epidermis.
- Antibiotic properties: this benefit helps fight skin infections such as psoriasis since it eliminates the bacteria that accumulate in the skin plaques and therefore prevents the disease from worsening.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: coconut oil due to its richness in moisturizing nutrients has a powerful soothing effect that considerably reduces some symptoms of psoriasis such as itching, pain, itching and redness of the skin in the affected areas.
- Antiseptic properties: its richness in monoglycerides gives it a disinfectant effect that helps to clean the accumulated dirt and the remains of scaly skin that aggravate the infection.
- Antioxidant properties: coconut oil is rich in a vegetable hormone called kinetin, which has an antioxidant power that reduces the damage caused by free radicals favoring cell division.
Here you can learn more about the properties and benefits of coconut oil for the skin.
How to use coconut oil for psoriasis – recipes
Now that you know the benefits of coconut oil for psoriasis, here are some recipes so you can use this natural remedy to combat and relieve this skin disease. Take note on how to use coconut oil to improve psoriasis effectively:
Coconut oil for psoriasis
You can use coconut oil either by including it in your daily diet or by applying it directly to the affected areas:
- If you want to take it you will only have to include 2-4 tablespoons a day in one of your main meals or consuming it directly.
- If you want to use it on the skin, you will have to heat half a glass of coconut oil so that it is liquid and once it is warm, apply it with the help of a cotton ball directly on the skin. You will have to perform this process 3 times a day.
Coconut oil with aloe vera gel
The juice obtained from this plant has excellent moisturizing and soothing properties that help reduce both flaking and inflammation in the affected areas.
To prepare this remedy you will simply have to mix in a container a tablespoon of warm coconut oil with a tablespoon of aloe vera gel. With the help of a cotton ball apply the mixture making a gentle circular massage and then let it act for about 20 minutes. After that time, rinse the area with cold water. Use this coconut oil and aloe vera remedy for psoriasis on a daily basis to notice improvements in the skin.
Coconut oil with honey
Honey is a natural product with powerful moisturizing, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that will help us reduce dryness and peeling of the skin affected by psoriasis.
Mix in a bowl 2 tablespoons of warm coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of honey and stir well so that the ingredients are well integrated. Apply the mixture on the affected areas with a gentle circular massage letting it act after all night. The next morning rinse your skin with cold water. Use this home remedy on a daily basis.