The liver is one of the organs that has the greatest importance in the proper functioning of our body. It has a fundamental role in a large number of processes of our body, such as digestion, since it secretes bile and other compounds that help digest food. It also helps eliminate toxins, metabolize medications and alcohol, and balance glucose and blood cholesterol levels.
Therefore, it is essential to keep the liver healthy so that our health does not suffer and the rest of our body can function properly. In the event that this organ is affected, as with fatty liver, it can mean, in the medium and long term, an imbalance in many of the functions of our body. That is why it is important to take care of it and prevent, reduce and eliminate any type of threat to its operation. From we explain the benefits of boldo for fatty liver.
What is fatty liver
There are two types of fatty liver:
- Alcoholic fatty liver
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver
This second pathology is divided in turn into: simple fatty liver, in which there is practically no inflammation of the cells and, therefore, there is no discomfort or symptoms at the moment and it is easier to reverse the alteration in the liver; and the complex fatty liver, in which there are already signs of inflammation, there are alterations in the different functions performed by this organ and cirrhosis or even a tumor can develop at the hepatic level.
For all the negative consequences that can occur, it is very important to reduce or even eliminate this type of disorder. You may also be interested in how to know if I have fatty liver.
What is boldo
The boldo is a tree found in both South American countries and countries on the Mediterranean Coast. It is easily distinguished, as it is a tree of about two meters with white flowers.
The beneficial properties for health are mainly found in its oval-shaped leaves. Its effects have been known for centuries and that is why in the vast majority of the areas where it is present it was already used in ancient times in the form of infusion or tea to relieve the discomfort generated by the digestive system.
Healing properties of boldo
The benefits of tea or boldo infusion for the liver are produced thanks to the components that give it certain properties that help fight this pathology. Boldo is, above all, rich in alkaloids and flavonoids, which give it certain beneficial properties for the liver:
- It has a choleretic effect: that is, it increases the production of bile, which causes digestions to be carried out more easily and, if this production had been decreased, to return to normal levels.
- It has a cholagogue effect: which means that it helps the expulsion of bile from the gallbladder. The swelling produced in a fatty liver can cause a jam in the exit routes of bile, which can generate serious problems at the liver level.
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect: taking into account that one of the most prominent symptoms of fatty liver is the swelling of liver cells, boldo helps to decrease this inflammation, significantly improving liver functioning.
How to prepare a boldo infusion
To make an infusion or tea of boldo for fatty liver, you need a teaspoon of boldo leaf extract for each cup of 250 ml of water. Boldo leaf extract can be easily found in any herbalist.
- Heat the water until it boils and add one teaspoon of the extract for every 250 ml of water you have poured.
- Let the boldo leaf extract integrate into the infusion for 20 minutes and then turn off the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Take it when it is still hot.
- If you find it too bitter you can add a teaspoon of honey or lemon juice.
You may also be interested in this other article on How to Take Boldo.
How long you can take the boldo
You can take one to three cups a day, always after meals, to facilitate digestion. This infusion is a complement to the treatment you have prescribed by a doctor for fatty liver, as well as a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle habits.
Now that you know the benefits of boldo for fatty liver, you may also be interested in this other article How to cure fatty liver with home remedies.