The apple is one of the fruits that contain more health benefits. The saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” is not a coincidence, as its consumption has a very positive impact on the human body. Among other things, they are rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals, helping to lower blood sugar levels. In addition to the multiple nutritional benefits that it provides, the apple is very satiating: eating it as a dessert or in a snack allows you to satisfy your appetite and, in this way, will prevent you from eating more than you should. Therefore, it is an ideal fruit to lose weight.
Types of apples
There are different varieties of apple that you can find in the market. These are the following:
- Pink Lady: This apple has a pink and greenish-yellow skin. It is frequently used for cooking and preparing salads.
- Gala or Royal Gala – This is an apple with a bright striped skin or red-orange striations on a yellow base. At we recommend that you eat it raw, but you can also cook it to make cakes and cook it in the oven.
- Golden: As with the Royal Gala, it is an apple with a shiny, golden skin. It is very sweet and crunchy, good to eat raw. It is also widely used to prepare apple pies.
- Fuji apple: Its color is variable, but it is usually between red and pink. It is one of the sweetest apple varieties with a taste similar to that of honey. Being so sweet, it is ideal to eat it raw.
- Granny Smith: Its skin is green and it is one of the most acidic types of apples that exists. It has a greenish, crunchy and dense pulp, with an effervescent point. The green apple is used in many dishes to add a touch of freshness.
- Red Delicious – This apple has a dark red skin and balanced sweetness. It has juicy meat and is aromatic. It is the most used variety to accompany salads.
Do you wonder what properties the apple has? Well, the nutritional properties of the apple are a good indication to see how beneficial they are for the body. For every 100 grams of this fresh fruit, your body ingests 52 kcal of apple, 14 grams of carbohydrates, 2.4 grams of fiber, 0.3 grams of protein and 0.2 grams of fat, therefore, it fits perfectly. on any type of diet. In addition to contributing to weight loss, the properties it contains make it a fruit with great benefits. Among the properties of the apple are:
- It provides pectin, it is a soluble fiber not absorbed by the intestine. It retains water and transforms into a gel that emulsifies, absorbing waste from the intestine and facilitating the elimination of toxins thanks to the stool. It is one of the best medicinal properties of the apple.
- It contains flavonoids that prevent the oxidation of bad cholesterol (LDL), preventing it from being deposited in the arteries. In addition, it contains tannins, which are anti-inflammatory and astringent.
- Provides unique organic acids, producing an alkalizing effect on the blood and tissues.
- It is a great source of minerals and vitamins. Are you wondering what vitamin the apple has? Among the vitamins of the apple, C stands out: a single piece can cover 30% of the daily need of the body. It is also rich in boron, a mineral that acts on various functions of the body, among which the assimilation of magnesium and calcium stands out, thus helping to prevent osteoporosis.
Due to the large number of properties, it contains, the apple provides the following health benefits:
- It stimulates the nervous system and helps purify it.
- Eating apples helps fight constipation. In the same way, it helps stop diarrhea.
- Regulates cholesterol, therefore, it is recommended to eat 3 or 4 pieces of apple daily to control cholesterol thanks to the properties of pectin and flavonoids.
- It reduces blood sugar levels, since it is a highly recommended fruit for diabetics, since much of the sugar it contains is in the form of fructose, therefore, it does not require insulin to access the cells. In addition, pectin helps regulate the release of sugars, allowing their passage through the blood to be gradual. And, if you wonder if the apple is fattening, you should know that no, it is not fattening. Here you can read about How to lose weight with apple.
Recipes with apple
The apple is used in many elaborations. For example, in Europe it is included in salads, such as Waldorf, French tarte tatin, German and Austrian, barbecue sauces, puff pastries, apple fritters, English crumbles or apples stuffed with meat. In Asia, it is used in salads, stir-fries, chutneys, pilafs (brown rice soaked and pan-sautéed) and fruit salads. In addition, in America the apple is used in different purees, cakes and fillings with this fruit as the main protagonist.
Now that you know the properties of the apple, we offer you different recipes so that you can incorporate this fruit into these delicious preparations:
- Apples wrapped in puff pastry.
- Apple pancakes, perfect for a delicious snack or dessert.
- Sugar free applesauce
- Chicken with apples.
- Candy Apples.
- How to make apple cider vinegar with sourdough
- Apple and cinnamon dumplings.
- apple cake