More and more people are using activated carbon, as it provides great properties and benefits for the body. For example, it is widely used to treat digestive problems due to its ability to absorb a certain amount of toxins, poisons, gases and other types of substances and compounds that the body does not need and that can even be harmful.
What is activated carbon
Activated charcoal is charcoal that is treated with the intention of rendering it porous so that it has the ability to trap compounds such as toxins, heavy metals, waste products, gases, and certain proteins.
This activated vegetable carbon comes from various sources, such as coconut shells, bamboo wood, oil, olives and organic waste, such as fruit pits. Since ancient times it has been used both to purify the body and to purify water and air since, of course, it can also absorb compounds from the external environment. In conclusion, it is considered a natural purifier , acting as a filter and antidote in some cases. However, its uses do not end here.
Activated carbon uses – benefits
Activated charcoal has a lot of benefits for your body and, to take advantage of them, here are some of the most common uses of activated charcoal :
- Detoxify your body: you can use it as first aid in case of ingesting any type of toxic or harmful substance for your body. In addition, it is recommended to remove residues that may remain in the liver, colon and kidneys. If you are interested in this use of this charcoal, you can learn more about How to detoxify the body in this other article.
- Stomach and intestinal problems: due to its ability to absorb toxins and gases, it is a very useful option when it comes to treating diarrhea and abdominal inflammation. In addition, it promotes bowel movements to combat constipation.
- Prevents premature aging: As it decreases the presence of toxins and other harmful compounds found in the blood, it can prevent premature cellular aging. Likewise, applied externally as a mask, this natural product also cleanses the skin of toxins and slows down premature aging.
- Fights bacteria and viruses: thanks to its detoxification capacity, it can prevent the appearance of any infection. It also strengthens the immune system, thus improving the presence of antibodies, since it removes waste materials.
- Helps reduce cholesterol: consuming activated charcoal can help you regulate cholesterol, since thanks to the components that form it, it reduces the risk of an obstruction because they prevent the formation of plaque on your arterial walls.
- Help your dental health: thanks to the micropores it has, it is capable of removing tartar and other residue from the teeth. It also prevents bad breath.
- Soothes insect bites: due to its anti-inflammatory and calming effect, it can prevent allergic reactions and relieve itching.
- Fights hangovers: ingesting activated charcoal after drinking alcohol can improve metabolism by eliminating toxins from alcohol and relieving stomach and headache pain.
How to take activated charcoal
Surely, after knowing its benefits, you will be wondering how to take activated carbon , because it is very simple. The best option to take it, and also to apply it externally, is to mix one or two tablespoons of charcoal powder with water. Depending on the use you are going to give it, you can apply or take the activated carbon in one way or another.
- In case of sore throat you can gargle. To do this, dilute a little of this black powder in a large glass of water.
- For optimal dental health you can make a mouthwash or use activated charcoal toothpaste. In this other post we explain how to whiten teeth with activated carbon .
- It is prepared as a paste (by mixing this powdered ingredient with a little water) for topical use, for example against insect bites or for masks. Ingredients can be added to this preparation for external use according to the needs of the skin. Here you can see How to make an activated carbon mask .
- For internal use against body problems, especially digestive and metabolic. In such a case, it can be taken in pills or capsules , or its powder can be included in a variety of dishes and drinks.
Side effects and contraindications of taking activated charcoal
Despite the large number of benefits that this product can bring to your body, special care must be taken with the abuse or misuse of activated charcoal . There are cases in which its use is not recommended and, in addition, side effects such as the following may appear.
Side effects of activated carbon
- Constipation. To prevent this problem, it is recommended to drink plenty of water if you are taking this charcoal.
Normally, these adverse effects are caused by an overdose when abusing activated carbon.
Activated charcoal contraindications
- If you are being medicated, you should not ingest activated charcoal, as it could absorb this medication, canceling its effect.
- If you abuse it, it can prevent vitamins and some minerals, such as iron, from being absorbed.
- The safety of ingesting this charcoal in pregnant and lactating women is unknown, so its consumption is not recommended.
Where to buy activated carbon
Depending on the area where you live, it will be easier for you to find it or maybe a little more difficult. The reality is that there are areas where it is difficult to find it in physical stores, so in these cases the best choice is the Internet, to buy activated carbon in online stores . In this way, look at various sites on the web and choose the one that best suits your needs. It is typically sold in hard, cut pieces, in the form of pills, capsules, or powder.
It is important to consult your doctor before starting to ingest activated charcoal, since depending on your age and your body you will have to ingest one dose or another and always follow their instructions.